Foundations of Impactful Teamwork
Required Course for 1st Year MBA Students
Working effectively in and leading teams are essential competencies in modern organizations, both large and small. The purpose of this course is to lay a foundation of knowledge and skills that will enable you to differentiate yourself as an effective leader and member of impactful teams. The specific learning objectives for this course include:
- Be able to launch and lead goal-directed project teams that meet or exceed stakeholders’ expectations for task performance, provide a positive working experience for team members, and enable team members to grow as a unit and as individuals.
- Be able to diagnose common interpersonal challenges that arise in teams composed of diverse individuals who are working under pressure and relying heavily on virtual modes of collaboration.
- Refine your awareness of your strengths and weaknesses as a leader and develop a plan for honing your leadership identity and interpersonal skills during your MBA program.
- Augment your resourcefulness when working in a global virtual team.
Organizational Research Methods
The purpose of this course is to expose you to a range of methods for conducting research on organizations. We will do this through readings, class discussions and exercises, as well as through writing and reviewing one another’s work. Because this is a survey course, we will cover a range of topics and specific research methods. The objectives of the course are:
- Introduce you to general concepts of methodological rigor and the core foundations of measurement.
- Enhance your understanding of the suite of methods commonly used in organizational research.
- Improve your skill in critically consuming research from a variety of methodological approaches.